Electronic Resources Committee
Scope of responsibility
ERC makes recommendations to CUL groups and units at all levels regarding access to networked resources that require special treatment. Typically, networked resources calling for special treatment include but are not limited to: resources that require users to enter IDs and passwords; resources that require software other than an Internet browser configured with standard plug-ins and fonts; and, aggregated resources for which catalog access to individual titles involves batch or manual cataloging projects. In particular, ERC makes recommendations to the Database Review Committee and library selectors regarding the acquisition of networked resources requiring special treatment based on assessments of user privacy concerns and of the library resources needed to make them accessible. ERC also recommends (and sometimes assists in providing) actions needed for access to particular resources. In reaching decisions concerning networked resources, ERC strives to optimize their discovery and use, to ensure end user privacy, to enable CU user access regardless of location, and to take into account the prudent use of CUL resources. ERC reports to the AUL for Technical Services.
Five ERC members represent these CUL groups:
- Collection Development Executive Committee (CDExec) or General Selectors (one member)
- Database Review Committee (one member, unfilled as of 11/05)
- Library Technical Services Electronic Resources and Serials Management Unit (LTS ERSM) (one member)
- Library Technical Services Senior Management Team (LTS SMT) (one member)
- Public Services Executive Committee (PSEC) or PSEC standing committees (one member)
Additionally, ERC will seek expertise from appropriate staff, particularly library technology staff, as needed.
Terms of service
Members serve staggered three-year terms and are eligible for reappointment. Terms begin on January 1.
How vacancies are filled
On November 1 of each year, ERC members will submit to the AUL for Technical Services a list of nominees to fill vacancies created by those members who will cycle off on January 1. When generating the list, ERC members will seek to maintain ERC?s affiliations to the CUL groups listed in ?Membership? above. ERC will nominate more than one candidate for each vacancy on the committee. The AUL for Technical Services will use the list of nominees to fill the committee vacancies, consulting with LMT members and the ERC Chair as necessary regarding the nominations. The AUL for Technical Services will obtain permission from nominees? managers before issuing invitations to join ERC. The AUL for Technical Services will appoint the ERC Chair from the ERC membership when the current chair?s term expires, again from a list of candidates suggested by ERC members.
ERC meets twice monthly as needed to address committee business. The committee holds discussions and reaches decisions on the ERC-L discussion list when possible.
Roster as of 1/06
- Marty Kurth, LTS SMT rep, chair, term ends 12/31/06
- Nan Hyland, PSEC rep, term ends 12/31/07
- Bill Kara, LTS ERSM rep, term ends 12/31/08
- Steve Rockey, General Selectors rep, term ends 12/31/06
- Martha Walker, General Selectors rep, term ends 12/31/08
- Ed Weissman, LMT rep, term ends 12/31/06
- Scott Wicks, LTS SMT rep, term ends 12/31/07
2006: February 27  | May 22 
2005: February 14  | April 25  | May 14  |July 11 
2004: February 23  | August 9 
2003: February 10  | April 14  | July 28 
2002: January 14  | January 28  | March 11  | April 8  | June 10  | July 8  | August 26  | October 14